Monday, May 14, 2012

baby kathleen

Our new little angel.  Kathleen was born on March 22nd.  Weighing in at 7.3 lbs and 21 inches long.  We couldn't be more delighted, overjoyed and humbled to have her join our family.  
Travis preparing for surgery.  The 4th time and we were still nervous.  We couldn't wait to see her.  I love thinking of her at this time right before she came, in the arms of Grammy.  Getting advice on how to deal with her 3 very loving and rambunctious siblings and receiving words of encouragement and last minute hugs and kisses.
She cried as soon as she came out and cried and cried.... for about an hour straight.  The doctors and nursers all kept saying, "wow, she is not happy."  I thought we were in trouble, she was going to cry a lot.  But thankfully she has not been uncontrollable since.  She has been a wonderful baby.
Overwhelming love and gratitiude for this wonderful gift.
When I was 18 weeks pregnant we got an ultrasound.  As soon as the technician said, "it's a girl" I felt my mom present and a strong connection to this baby and my mom.  So it kept coming in my mind to name this baby Kathleen.  I thought it would probably be her middle name and contemplated it as her first.  But in the hospital Travis and I both thought Kathleen was the perfect first name for our baby girl.

Her loving visitors in the hospital, Aunt Melissa and Grandma Sandy
Papa, Judy and Big brother Shep
Big sister Meda
Aunt Anney and cousin Katie
Aunt Leslie, cousin Brinley and Aunt Abby
cousin Elsie
Kathleen, ready to come home.  All the nurses in the hospital were raving about Travis and the wonderful Dad he was.  He changed practically every diaper, he had continuous sleepless nights while I slept.  One nurse that was particularly fond of him almost proposed.  
We were SO LUCKY to have Grandma Sandy stay with us for two weeks.  She was the biggest help.  She cooked and cleaned and babysat.  When I came home from the hospital I had a spinal headache.  I would feed Kathleen then hand her off to Grandma so I could lay down.  Travis and I went to the ER to get a blood patch and came home with everything fixed.  It was so nice to have Sandy there to watch the kids and stay with baby Kathleen.  We couldn't have survived without her.
I just love this picture of her jammies coming off her tiny newborn body.  There is nothing sweeter in this world than a newborn baby, the smell, the skin, the cuddles, the cry, the nursing (which miraculously has been wonderful).
My nanny Brinley (I wish) she is so great with the kids, they love her.  Bear is very hands on with Kathleen and just can't get enough of her!  I think she kind of likes it.


Kathleen is now 7 weeks old, getting chubs and is the cutest sweetest thing.  She sleeps for 6 hours straight, smiles at us and lights up our days.
The crew